Saturday, April 30, 2011

1-1 Part Deux

Well, apparently my cockiness about my legs being more in shape than I thought completely backfired.  I'm a hurtin' unit today.  My quadriceps on both legs just ache when I'm walking down the stairs especially; and trying to walk down the stairs while carrying Kyle is enough to make me wince.  Also, the muscle on my shin that starts under my knee and kind of wraps around the outside of my lower leg practically shudders whenever I flex my foot and pull my toes to the ceiling.  I obviously worked a group of muscles that don't get much action, and, surprisingly, I'm feeling really good about this pain.  It's the good kind of pain that I know is short-lived and will end up making my muscles stronger.
 
Believe it or not, I'm a little disappointed that my next run isn't until Monday.  I feel like I'm ready to go for another and challenge myself again.
 
Craig still hasn't a clue that I went out on Friday morning.  Not only does he sleep pretty deeply, but I think he figured I had an early drop-off on Friday and that was why I got up so early.  I'm the Queen of new-ideas-I-get-excited-about-and-never-follow-through-on so I want to get into a pretty good routine before letting him in on my dirty little secret.
 
Workout, health, and fitness aside, I absolutely loved being outside all by myself on Friday.  There was no stroller to push.  I never had to turn around to do a headcount and make sure everyone was following along.  It was me and a ton of birds and a lonely little bunny who I scared the crap out of when I dashed past his hiding place under a naked bush.  I know there's a fox family that lives in the neighbourhood, too, so I'm hoping I'll catch a glimpse of them one of these early mornings.  Add in the hawk that nabbed a terrified mole from the path about 100m in front of me and it was almost like the Circus at home... minus the screaming.
 
Run 1-2 will come on Monday.  Hopefully I'm not as sore on Tuesday as I am today.

3 comments:

Me said...

LOL! It will ease up...you know that. Do some stretches before and after your runs and it will help. Are you using a good pair of shoes? That will make a huge impact on your legs.

Michelle said...

My shoes are relatively new, but I could do better. I'm afraid to commit to a really great pair of joggers until I know for sure this is something I really enjoy and will stick with. I'm thinking I'll get past the first few weeks and if I'm still enjoying myself I'll go and invest in a pair.

Me said...

Yeah, and shoes are not really that cheap. But, they're important. And if you don't end up sticking with running you can always wear them as everyday shoes so it's not like they'll go to waste like say purchasing a snowboard and then only using it once or twice. Reebok (at the St. Jacob's outlet mall) has running shoes at a good price. They just had their big 40% off sale too. Too bad I missed it.