Thursday, June 16, 2011

Comfort Zone

 

I am happy to report that the severe grounding I had to impose on Shaun last week seems to have done the trick -- for now.  His behaviour has improved as well as his attitude and he's much more helpful with his brothers than I think I've ever seen.  That's One for Mom!  He's needed a few reminders here and there when he's starting to act up and has had a couple of days where he didn't earn any privilege back due to not-so-good behaviour but each incident was minor in the grand scheme of things.  I simply had to stick to my guns and follow through on what I said I would do.  Not so easy for me, especially at the end of the day when I don't want to fight and argue with the boys; just get them bathed and in bed so I can sit down myself.  Lesson learned, in more ways than one.

 

And now for something completely different.  I went hang gliding last night!

 

Shaun's best friend at school has a Dad who is not only a Canada Post mail carrier but also a hang gliding instructor.  I received a call yesterday afternoon from Mark asking if I'd be interested in joining him for a tandem flight around dinner time.  I quickly agreed and then remembered I didn't have anyone to look after the boys on such short notice but Mark's wife stepped up and offered to come out to the field with me and look after my Circus while I was flying.

 

I don't even know how to describe the feeling of being suspended 1500 feet in the air with no engine, just the wind keeping me airborne.  It was thrilling and terrifying, and completely empowering.  I felt like I could control anything up there.  Mark gave me a quick lesson on how to control the glider and then let me take control for a few minutes.  It was surprisingly smooth and not at all noisy; only the sound of the wind whistling in my ears and a muted flap from the glider in the breeze.  Not once did I question my safety or feel any fear of falling or spinning out of control.  Mark was on the Canadian Hang Gliding team (I had no idea there even was one!) back in the day and is quite experienced in things of this sort. 

 

Back on the ground, Mark's wife told me that Ian never took his eyes off the glider the whole time I was flying and would announce, "that's my Mommy," whenever we'd soar past the field where everyone was gathered.  I have promised Craig he can fly next but I will most certainly fly again before the end of the summer!

No comments: